Al Jazeera has received confirmation from a local official in southern Syria that there have been no casualties and that there is no major damage from a recent aerial strike on a camp for refugees.
Al Jazeera’s senior correspondent, Maria van den Hoevers, said in a report from the camp on Thursday that a number of buildings had been damaged, but she added that it was still not clear how many people were living there.
In response to a question from Al Jazeera, the Syrian Civil Defence confirmed the report, saying it had not been hit.
“No one has been killed or wounded in the airstrike,” a spokesman told Al Jazeera.
“We are currently working to confirm the information of those who were injured.”
The spokesman said the organisation had not received any information about any fatalities.
The spokesman also said that the coalition had conducted a drone strike on the camp at around 2:00pm local time (15:00 GMT) on Thursday, killing two people and wounding a number.
The Syrian Civil Defense said the coalition attack was aimed at stopping the building of new structures, but it added that they were still awaiting confirmation from the government.
We cannot confirm who is responsible for the airstrike, the spokesman said.